TRENTON (June 29, 2020) – Reports of alleged lottery scams have cropped up over the past weeks in social media posts, New Jersey Lottery is cautioning residents to beware of any social media postings, emails or telephone calls from anyone promising lottery winnings, asking for money or offering to share money from Lottery prizes won. Read More >>
IS THIS A SCAM? WHAT ARE THE WARNING SIGNS?
Consumers should be careful about potential scammers who may send false announcements regarding lottery prizes.
As part of the scam, an individual is contacted by phone, email, text message, or a letter from a scammer who is claiming that the recipient has won a prize with the New Jersey Lottery. This is a fraudulent claim and there is no such prize. Never respond to these communications and never provide information or send money to a scammer.
- The New Jersey Lottery does NOT know who the winners are until they come forward with a winning ticket. We do not notify YOU, you notify US.
- The New Jersey Lottery NEVER requires the payment of any money in order to claim a prize.
- No one should ever send any money to pay a ‘processing fee’ or any another requested fee in order to claim a prize.
- Never deposit any check sent to you that is accompanied by a request that you send or wire money to cover processing or claiming fees. The check that you’ve received is fraudulent and will bounce.
- Never provide any personal or financial information to a scammer, especially Social Security numbers, bank account numbers, and credit card numbers.
REPORT THE SCAM:
Report any attempted scam to the Federal Trade Commission at 1-877-FTC-HELP or at the FTC Consumer Information website.
Also, contact the New Jersey Lottery's Security Unit immediately at (609) 599-6100. Our Security Unit takes these "lottery scams" very seriously, and looks into each particular "scam" in great detail. Please submit the 'scam' material you have received, along with as many details as possible (i.e. instructions, your contact information, etc.). You can forward this information to the Security Unit by email (firstname.lastname@example.org), by fax (609) 599-5814, ATTN: Security Unit, or via regular mail to New Jersey Lottery; Security Unit; P.O. Box 041; Trenton, NJ 08625-0041.